Racing is usually held monthly and entry is via an online system at Buncheur.com that opens 1-2 weeks before race day. Entry closes on the Friday before so don’t miss out.
On race day, make your way to the start/finish line and presentation area (located at Elvina Walking Track Trailhead Car Park on West Head Rd), to sign on and grab your race number. This is located about 1.5km along West Head Road on the right hand side. Please do not park in the Elvina Walking Track car park – this not only assists our marshalls when they head up there to set up for the finish, but also assists with our relations with National Parks. This gives riders more room while waiting to start.
The course starts at the Elvina Trailhead, turning left out of there and heading south. Riders do a u-turn at the crest of the climb prior to the exit of West Head Road, then head north for approx 10km to the north turn around (amenities block at the Resolute picnic area), heading south again for approx 10km riders turn around again at the same crest of the hill prior to the exit of West Head Road. From here the finish is only a short distance back to Elvina Trailhead, where riders will cross the finish line heading in a northerly direction.
The number of laps varies by grade, typically for men: A grade 4 laps, B grade 3 laps, C grade 2 laps and D grade 1 lap. A women is 3 laps and B women in 2 laps and C women is 1 lap.
This is the only monthly road race in Metropolitan Sydney. It offers a challenging course that will test all riders on a great riding surface. Grades A to D cater for experienced through to new racers.
Occasionally we run handicap races where riders are set in handicapped groups and all vie to finish first across the line. The earlier slower groups try to stay ahead of the chasing groups. This exciting form of racing relies of teamwork within your group. Our handicap races start and finish at the Resolute Picnic area.
Feel free to contact the club for more guidance for your first race. Itâ€™s not as hard as you think and once youâ€™ve done one, youâ€™ll be back for more.
Entry Fee: $30 Adults & $10 Juniors with a current RACE licence from AusCycling. PRE ENTRIES ONLY, unfortunately no on-the-day entries can be taken.
Enter via: Buncheur
Race Date: See the Events Schedule for the Next Race Date
Race Format: Scratch race
Race start time: From 6:45am. Start times are on the entry portal. Please arrive only 15 minutes before your grade to minimise contact across grades.
- Race number collection and start/finish is at Elvina Walking Track Car Park, West Head Road.
Toilets: No toilets at the race start/finish. Toilets are located at Terrey Hills Community Centre, McCarrs Creek Reserve, Church Point, or past the race start at Resolute picnic area.
Volunteers? Our events only happen with the assistance of 100s of volunteers. We need your help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to help out. All riders, parents, partners or friends from any club are welcome to help out.
GRADES ON RACE DAY?
Women’s A – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
Women’s B – 2 Laps (approx 45km)
Women’s C – 1 Lap (approx 25km)
Men’s – 4 Laps (approx 90km)
Men’s B – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
Men’s C – 2 Laps (approx 45km)
Open D – 1 Lap (approx 25km)
A Masters 40+ Years – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
Masters 50+ Years – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
What grade should I enter? Ask your mates is the easiest option. Average speeds do vary but as a guide here are some average speeds from our mens grades: A – 39km/h, B – 36km/h, C 34km/h and D 30 km/h.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW!
- Please enter your correct licence number on the entry system, these will be checked against the AusCycling database. We are not checking them on the day.
- There are NO on the day entries. Forget about it!
- Please do not arrive prior to your recommended time listed on Buncheur. Any changes will be advised in a pre-race email. You should not arrive more than 15 minutes before your start time to collect your race number.
- Post race, the focus is on racing and then leaving the area. There will be no formal presentations post race. Only the podium winners will be required for a brief photo post race.
- You do not need to return your number. Keep your germs to yourself!
- There will be no supplied food or water. You must be self sufficient.
- Prize money will be transferred to the winners via EFT.
- If you use gels or energy wrappers, please put your empty wrappers in your pockets and take them home with you. The National Park or our ute/trailer are not rubbish dumps.
Racing is relatively simple to do so stop putting it off and just do it. Here are some tips to get you going and you can read a full guide here :
- You need a RACE licence from AusCycling. There are short and long-term options available. If in doubt, choose MWCC as your club!
- Enter the race online at Buncheur.com. Make sure you do this by the Friday before the race. There are NO on the day entries.
- On the day, you should arrive not more than 15 minutes before your start time, collect your race number. Stick it on your bike and youâ€™re ready to go.
- Work out how long it will take you to get to the course whether you are driving and/or riding.
- Bring enough food and water for your race distance plus riding to and from the race.
- Ride to the race with a small backpack to keep your goodies in at the start/finish while you are racing.
- Check out the course before the race if you havenâ€™t been to West Head. This will make it easier on race day.
- Want to go faster? Get specific and train on the course. Do some efforts on a non-race day and it will help with the intensity of the race.
- Tried your first race and got dropped? You won’t win it first go. Racing takes some getting used to, both strategically and physically. Commit to coming back and you will see yourself improve. One or two goes won’t do it.
If you use gel or energy wrappers, please put your empty wrappers in your pockets and take them home with you. The National Park or our ute/trailer are not rubbish dumps.